Blount County, AL
Blount County was settled in 1818 by people of primarily English and Scottish origin, migrating from Georgia, Virginia and the Carolinas. The county was created by the Alabama Territorial legislature on February 6, 1818 from land ceded to the Federal government by the Creek Nation on August 9, 1814.
Blount County was named for Governor William G. Blount of Tennessee, who provided assistance to settlers in Alabama during the Creek War of 1813-14.
Blount County lies in the northeastern section of the state, generally known as the mineral region and is borded by Cullman,, Marshall, Etowah, Jefferson, and Walker Counties. The Locust and Mulberry Forks of the Black Warrior River drain the county. The Warrior coalfield is located in Blount County.
Towns & Communities
From 1818 to 1889, Blountsville served as the county seat. An election that year resulted in its transfer to Oneonta. Other towns and communities include Bangor, Blount Springs, Liberty, and Cleveland.
~ Source: Ancestor Swap Meet 2003 book, June 21, 2003, Northeast Alabama Genealogical Society.